In two years I have learned a lot:
THE GOOD:
- You truly become one when you get married. If someone hurts Derrick, I feel like they hurt me as well.
- You never realize how much you love someone until you have children with them. Derrick is the best dad. (I sometimes wish he gave me as much attention! haha)
- A big heart goes a long way, and I sometimes think my husband's is too big for his body.
- Having the man you love there with you everyday is amazing. When you are dating, you do everything you can to see that person...driving across Atlanta, going on as many dates as possible, etc. Just knowing that when you wake up in the morning you can effortlessly see that person is such a good feeling.
THE BAD:
- Marriage is hard. Anyone who says it isn't is lying. You quickly learn that it is no longer about yourself, but about you and another person. Add a baby into the mix, and you learn it even more!
- Men and women are just wired differently. I think that women just have a stress hormone that runs through our veins. Things that we think should be done, men just don't see as a priority. Thus, it sometimes takes us being a big ol' B to get stuff done!
- Unfortunately, money (or lack thereof) can cause major stress on a marriage, and it can really take a toll on it. You have to step away from it though sometimes and realize that you made a vow of "for richer or poorer", and that it will all be better one day!
- Before you get married, you forget that you are not just marrying one person, but you are marrying their family and their friends. You have to remember that the family and friends were there before you. It is hard to remember that and keep from saying or doing things regarding those people that is not hurtful to your spouse. We have both learned that lesson.
- Patience is important. Forgiveness is key. When you spend the majority of your day with someone, you can easily say or do things that are hurtful either in an argument or just totally unexpectedly. You have to remember that that person loves you more than anything!
THE UGLY:
- When you are dating, you try so hard to look good around your boyfriend/girlfriend. When you first get married, you try to look sexy for bedtime, you try not to turn towards your spouse when your breath is bad, and men try not to release gassy substances from their throat and butt in front of their spouse. Two years later: I go to bed in a sweatshirt and pants, Derrick walks around in bedroom slippers and socks, and I have smelled some things that would kill a skunk.
- Men produce some sort of gunk in the bathroom sink that somehow I don't produce. It's gross.
- A man's beard hairs seem to stick to everything in sight.
- When you buy a house, get 2 closets! I know Derrick wishes this, as my side is always a mess!
- Ok, and this is probably totally TMI, but the truth: Derrick and I cracked up one day because he said when you are a teenage boy, all you think about is seeing a girl naked. Now, you see it, and it doesn't phase you (ok, now that I think back on him saying that I should probably take offense to it). Meanwhile, growing up, especially after taking sex ed, all I could think about was that boy parts were gross and that I didn't want to see them EVER. Now, I see my husband get out of the shower...and.....they are STILL GROSS! :-)

Our wedding
Our honeymoon - oh to be skinny and tan again.
1 comment:
LOVE the last comment about boys parts being gross... amen, sista. Thank GOD that He created one of us (um, the guy) to be attracted to our "parts". If it were left up to us to be attracted to that on them, we'd have gone extinct long ago...
Congrats on the anniversary and I hope yall have 50+ more just like it (well, minus the lack of $ part).
Post a Comment