Early this morning, I lost one of my favorite people in this world.
The stomach virus that Grandmother had put her Parkinson's Disease into high gear, and she would no longer open her mouth to eat or take medicine. She passed at my parent's house during her sleep early this morning.
I have so many memories of my grandmother. They will probably mean little to anyone who reads this, but I cannot have an outlet such as this without properly memorializing my Grandmother.
I will always remember:
Sitting at her kitchen table talking about school, boys, mean girls, my hair (and her preference that I pull it away from my face), my bad habit of biting nails. Making sure I always had a snack or food - a little glass of milk in my own little glass and a couple of Oreos or other cookies over conversation. (If I had lived with her, I would have weighed 500 pounds). Looking at the newspaper and knowing not to talk while her soaps were on. The woman who could look at herself in the mirror for hours and always had on her lipstick (yes, I get this from her!). I remember sitting and being in awe of my grandmother. I remember watching her every move when I was little and wanting to be just like her. I would watch her washing dishes, fixing her hair, putting on her make-up and wanted to be like her. I have memories of playing with the button box when I was little, her funny ways of hiding money or newspaper articles all over the house – in books and drawers – yet, she would know exactly where they were. Driving all over town to save 10 cents. The five hour process of picking out pillows - then, returning them 2 days later. Going to the grocery store and learning the trick to NEVER get the can that was in front – it had been touched by everyone – get the one in the back. And wipe off the top before opening it. The woman who was a germophobic and didn’t like going out to eat, yet loved the Varsity and Mazzio’s Pizza.
There are so many memories that I have that can’t be captured in writing. Just simply my grandmother’s face – her beautiful blue eyes and her smile – will forever be etched in my mind, and they bring happiness to my heart.
There were three things that I always said: that I wanted my Grandmother to be there when I got married, that she would see the birth of my child, and that she wouldn’t have to suffer from the terrible side effects that can happen with Parkinsons. Well, God answered my prayers. Though, Parkinsons is what caused her passing, she did not have to suffer a long time, like many others do. I know that everything happens for a reason, and now more than ever, I believe that and have witnessed that. I truly feel like Derrick and I had Abigail at the time we did, so Grandmother could meet her, and so that there would be another girl in the family to continue the strong bond that the women in my family have. I pray that Abigail and my mom are as close as I was to my grandmother. I pray that everyone could have that type of relationship. I also pray that Abigail will take care of me the way mom has done through the years with my grandmother. She has made so many sacrifices, but all for the love of her mother. And, I will do the same, and hopefully Abigail will do the same for me. The bond with your mother and grandmother is something that is so precious, and I pray that everyone can have that in their lives.
The sad thing is that I really lost my grandmother after her fall years ago. She hasn’t been able to really communicate, but just her sweet smile and bright blue eyes have been enough for me. The thought of not seeing them again breaks my heart. It genuinely breaks my heart. However, I don’t want to be selfish. I know that there are good people that have been waiting on her for a while, and there will be a day when I see her once again. I look forward to sitting at that table in Heaven, drinking a little glass of milk and talking to my Grandmother once again. Until then, I will forever have her memory in my heart, and I know that she will be right here with me every single day. And, I want to thank her for being the best Grandmother.
I will miss you, Grandmother, and will see you again someday, (but will wait until you have your lipstick on!)
The stomach virus that Grandmother had put her Parkinson's Disease into high gear, and she would no longer open her mouth to eat or take medicine. She passed at my parent's house during her sleep early this morning.
I have so many memories of my grandmother. They will probably mean little to anyone who reads this, but I cannot have an outlet such as this without properly memorializing my Grandmother.
I will always remember:
Sitting at her kitchen table talking about school, boys, mean girls, my hair (and her preference that I pull it away from my face), my bad habit of biting nails. Making sure I always had a snack or food - a little glass of milk in my own little glass and a couple of Oreos or other cookies over conversation. (If I had lived with her, I would have weighed 500 pounds). Looking at the newspaper and knowing not to talk while her soaps were on. The woman who could look at herself in the mirror for hours and always had on her lipstick (yes, I get this from her!). I remember sitting and being in awe of my grandmother. I remember watching her every move when I was little and wanting to be just like her. I would watch her washing dishes, fixing her hair, putting on her make-up and wanted to be like her. I have memories of playing with the button box when I was little, her funny ways of hiding money or newspaper articles all over the house – in books and drawers – yet, she would know exactly where they were. Driving all over town to save 10 cents. The five hour process of picking out pillows - then, returning them 2 days later. Going to the grocery store and learning the trick to NEVER get the can that was in front – it had been touched by everyone – get the one in the back. And wipe off the top before opening it. The woman who was a germophobic and didn’t like going out to eat, yet loved the Varsity and Mazzio’s Pizza.
There are so many memories that I have that can’t be captured in writing. Just simply my grandmother’s face – her beautiful blue eyes and her smile – will forever be etched in my mind, and they bring happiness to my heart.
There were three things that I always said: that I wanted my Grandmother to be there when I got married, that she would see the birth of my child, and that she wouldn’t have to suffer from the terrible side effects that can happen with Parkinsons. Well, God answered my prayers. Though, Parkinsons is what caused her passing, she did not have to suffer a long time, like many others do. I know that everything happens for a reason, and now more than ever, I believe that and have witnessed that. I truly feel like Derrick and I had Abigail at the time we did, so Grandmother could meet her, and so that there would be another girl in the family to continue the strong bond that the women in my family have. I pray that Abigail and my mom are as close as I was to my grandmother. I pray that everyone could have that type of relationship. I also pray that Abigail will take care of me the way mom has done through the years with my grandmother. She has made so many sacrifices, but all for the love of her mother. And, I will do the same, and hopefully Abigail will do the same for me. The bond with your mother and grandmother is something that is so precious, and I pray that everyone can have that in their lives.
The sad thing is that I really lost my grandmother after her fall years ago. She hasn’t been able to really communicate, but just her sweet smile and bright blue eyes have been enough for me. The thought of not seeing them again breaks my heart. It genuinely breaks my heart. However, I don’t want to be selfish. I know that there are good people that have been waiting on her for a while, and there will be a day when I see her once again. I look forward to sitting at that table in Heaven, drinking a little glass of milk and talking to my Grandmother once again. Until then, I will forever have her memory in my heart, and I know that she will be right here with me every single day. And, I want to thank her for being the best Grandmother.
I will miss you, Grandmother, and will see you again someday, (but will wait until you have your lipstick on!)
2 comments:
Hello Wolfe Family,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. She sounds like a wonderful lady.
I am a distant relative of yours. Pat, my mother-in-law, gave me your blog address. I hope that we'll be able to get to know each other through our blogs! Our blog is http://rachelandrobby.blogspot.com I'll be praying for you today.
what a sweet post. i am so sorry for your loss. love you!
Post a Comment