Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh my goodness....

After walking through the sleet and cold yesterday to find the drug store, I found out that it is literally steps away underground, which is accessible from our hotel, and 3 floors down from where I was yesterday to get the gloves. So "The Bay" is apparently this place that has everything. It has groceries on one level, clothes on another, home goods on another, drug store on another, etc, etc. Pretty cool. Very confusing, but cool. I was very confused as to where I could check out, etc. There was a Papyrus, but within "The Bay", so I was just confused. I could not find an English speaking person to help me out though.

The weather seems to be better today, cold, but no rain and sleet. Tonight we have a gala for our conference. Should be a fun time. I am going to take a power nap to prepare. I got about 3 hrs of sleep last night, because I spent the remainder of the time coughing. I am very tired of this cold. It's getting very old. I don't even know if I am going to make the game this weekend. It may not be worth it ... as much as I want to go, I probably need the rest more prior to my long work week starting again next week.

I went to a gender diversity in the workplace class today. It was really interesting. We talked about the struggles of women becoming CEO's and the struggles we face with incorporating work and family. Amen. It is so hard. While I want to become a very successful businessperson, it's hard to find that balance between work and family. I think that businesses can make this atmosphere possible, but it takes management who also wants and needs to balance work and family. I have learned over the past few months, that high paying executives more than likely earn every penny. I got a 50% raise starting my job in Athens, and when I calculated it per hour, I am actually getting paid less than my old job. That is insane. So, when everyone criticizes those that make $200k and say that they should be taxed more, think again. I am sure that they are putting in lots of time and have paid exorbitant amounts in education to reach those levels. While I don't think that execs should be making millions while their employees struggle, and I definitely don't think that professional athletes should make millions, I think that everyone should think twice before judging people with high salaries. They have probably earned every penny, in my opinion. OK, sorry, I will get off my soapbox and take a power nap now.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Hey Allison....I talked to your mom yesterday and she told me about your blog! I can't imagine working that much during the week. Hope you feel better soon and have a safe trip home tomorrow!