Friday, June 12, 2009

Baby Class #2 - Baby Basics

We went to our Baby Basics class last night - that's the class we needed most! We learned to change a newborn's diaper, bathe a newborn, swaddle the baby with a blanket and got lots of tips on feeding, massaging, etc. It was awesome. We really don't know anything, but it was a relief to see that other couples really didn't either.


I had no clue we shouldn't use baby powder - I would have been using the heck out of that stuff. I also didn't know that car seats expire! I didn't know that you use a baby brush they give you at the hospital to wash their head - it honestly looks like it hurts to me! I also thought you immediately put them in the baby tub, I didn't know that you wait a few weeks for that! She also gave us tips on how to change the diaper to help prevent getting pooped and peed on. Very handy advice!

Now, Saturday, we have an all-day birthing class. I anticipate having to watch that gross video. It will take a lot to keep me from laughing. I just know it will. It will also freak both of us out a bit, I'm sure. And I'm sure that Derrick will never look at a female body the same again in his life. haha.
Pregnancy update:

The nausea is back. Why? I have no clue. The swelling is super bad every other day. One great thing about pregnancy - hair! No, not the hairs that start growing on your face, I'm talking about the head full of hair you have. For the first time in my life, when I comb through my hair or wash my hair, no hair comes out. I usually have a handful that comes out - ask my parents or Derrick - it is quite gross on our shower pipes. It's pretty awesome having a good hair day almost everyday. Wish I could keep this part!


The baby has moved. Before I was feeling (and watching) kicking in the center of my abdomen - now it is to the right and direcly in my ribs. Sometimes it tickles, sometimes it downright hurts. She WILL NOT kick for anyone else though. As soon as another hand is on my belly, she stops. But, it's like she knows my hand.

I think we have the baby name narrowed to 2 or 3 names. My goal is to have a name SOON!

No comments: