Sunday, December 25, 2011

The True Meaning of Christmas


I think that everyone who knows the Greens or McIvers or has followed their blog in the last few months has had a much different Christmas this year.  We have been holding our babies a little tighter and have realized that family, love and faith are what matter the most. 

I have known Katie nearly my entire life.  I have loved and adored the McIvers for as long as I can remember.  They are a family of true love and one of a kind.  Only they can plan a last minute road trip across country and make it work.  They are funny, caring, compassionate and seriously all gorgeous.  I have always been envious of their attitude towards life (and who am I kidding, I have been envious of their looks too!). 

I have been pretty quiet publicly both prior to and after the birth of sweet Hallie.  This does not mean that I have not thought about and prayed for the Greens and McIvers almost daily, and lately, even hourly.   I just wasn’t exactly sure what to say. 

We all prayed that Katie and Chris would get to hold their precious angel, and I think that each and every one of us prayed for a Christmas miracle.  Somehow, someway, the doctors would be wrong.  This sweet little girl would have minor, repairable issues and she would get to live a normal childhood.  Then, when I read Chris’s amazing post on the blog after Hallie’s birth, I was brought to absolute tears.  All I could think of was how sad I was for this precious child.  She would never get to see her perfectly beautiful family, and she would never get to hear their contagious laughs and Katie’s gentle voice.  I thought how unfair that was for that sweet baby.  How could she know how much her family loved her if she could not see them or hear them tell her over and over how much they loved her?

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks:  Hallie is very symbolic of our belief in Jesus Christ.  We cannot see Him, we cannot physically hear Him, but we can feel Him.  We feel His love.  We feel Him wrap us in His arms every day.  His love for us is all we need.  We do not need to see Him.  We do not need to hear Him.  We just believe.  Sweet little Hallie was awarded the same thing.  She may not have been able to see or hear her family, but she felt their love.  Their arms were constantly wrapped around her during her short time here on earth.  Her family’s love and the love and support of those who had “Hope for Hallie” gave that little baby peace and comfort in her very short time here. 

Now, like Christ, she watches over us, and touched the lives of so many during her shortened time here.  She was almost a healer of sorts.  While her life was sacrificed, she brought together so many.  She made us realize what Christmas is all about.  It’s not about presents, it’s not about the food, the rush and hustle and bustle:  it’s about love, faith and family. 

I cannot help but cry and hurt for the Greens and McIvers.  I cannot even imagine what their Christmas was like, or what it will be like every single year.  However, I hope that they realize what an impact that they and their sweet little baby made on the lives of so many.  She is watching over us all, and is amazed that the outer beauty of her parents is as beautiful as the love that she felt from them.  

I hope that each of you had a very Merry Christmas, and I hope that when you read the story of the Hallie and the Greens, you too, will be overwhelmed by the true meaning of Christmas.